Who Needs Dangerous Goods/Hazmat Training?
Any company performing any function regulated by the Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR) is required to provide for training according to a mandate from the U.S. Department of Transportation. This includes any company that performs any of the following:
- Offers hazardous materials for transportation
- Packages, marks or labels hazardous materials for transportation
- Loads or unloads vehicles use to transport hazardous materials
- Transports hazardous materials
- Receives and forwards shipments of hazardous materials
- Manufactures packaging used to transport hazmat
- Tests for hazmat packaging
Hazmat employers are responsible for training each hazmat employee. This requirement pertains to businesses of any size — sole-proprietors, partnerships, corporations, etc. — there are no exceptions to this rule.