Who is Considered a “Hazmat Employee”?
A hazmat employee is any of the following:
- A full-time, part time, or temporary employee of a hazmat employer who, in the course of his/her work, directly affects hazardous materials transportation safety
- A self-employed worker (including owner-operators of motor vehicles, vessels, or aircraft), transporting hazardous materials in commerce, who in the course of such self-employment directly affects hazardous materials transportation safety…
This term includes an individual, employed on a full time, part time, or temporary basis by a hazmat employer, or who is self-employed, who during the course of employment:
- Loads, unloads, or handles hazardous materials.
- Designs, manufactures, fabricates, inspects, marks, maintains, reconditions, repairs, or tests a package, container or packaging component that is represented, marked, certified, or sold as qualified for use in transporting hazardous material in commerce.
- Prepares hazardous materials for transportation.
- Is responsible for safety of transporting hazardous materials.
- Operates a vehicle used to transport hazardous materials.